Terroir Awards Honours SA Vintners
The Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards 2019 took place in early August, honouring some of the country’s most accomplished winemakers.
The star of this year’s 14th annual Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards was Bon Courage Estate in Robertson, with three national winners, namely for the top Colombard, Cap Classique sparkling wine (MCC) and Rosé.
The results were announced during an awards lunch at Anura Vineyards in Klapmuts. Bon Courage excelled among a record number of 328 entries. At this prestigious event, the Cape Winelands’ numerous first-rate wine areas are showcased. Only wines certified as single-vineyard wines, estate-produced, or wines from a ward or district not divided into more than one ward, may participate.
Bon Courage Estate’s specific winners were Bon Courage André’s Fame Colombard 2019, Bon Courage Jacques Bruére Blanc de Blanc Cap Classique 2011 and Bon Courage Lady of the House Pinotage Rosé 2019. Several other wines from Bon Courage – situated in the Goedemoed Ward in Robertson – also scored top points, resulting in this estate being awarded both the Novare Trophies for Top Wine Estate and for Top Terroir Producer.
Its three national winners and two other national winners entered by cellars in the neighbouring Klaasvoogds ward – die Kranskop Tannat 2017 and Rietvallei JMB Cabernet Franc 2014 – resulted in the Klaasvoogds- and Goedemoed wine areas in the Robertson District winning the Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top Wine Area.
For the first time ever, the Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top Wine was awarded and the winner is from the Nuy ward outside Worcester. Nuy Wine Cellar entered two national winners, the Nuy Mastery Cabernet Sauvignon 2016 and Nuy Wit Muskadel 2006. Their Cabernet Sauvignon was named the top wine from all entries and thereby clinched this new trophy.
The panel of esteemed judges comprised Jeff Grier (chairperson), David Biggs, Narina Cloete, Sandile Mkhwanazi and Anton Swarts.
The Novare group has been the sole sponsor of the prestigious Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards since 2006. According to Derrick Roper, CEO and co-founder of Novare, the company is proud to be associated with the Novare SA Terrroir Wine Awards as one of the most unique wine competitions in the world.
The chairperson of the SA National Wine Show Association, Christo Pienaar, said, “We are very excited about this first year in which we presented the Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards and are elated that the entries grew by 25% over last year.
In addition to the National Winners and the Novare trophies, the top wines in the different areas are also named. The full results are available on the website
2019 Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards Trophy Winners
- Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top Wine Estate: Bon Courage
- Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top Producer: Bon Courage
- Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top single-vineyard wine: Doolhof Riviersteen Chenin 2017
- Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top Area: Robertson: Klaasvoogds/Goedemoed
- Novare Trophy for SA Terroir Top Wine: Nuy Mastery Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
2019 Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards National Winners
- Petit Verdot: Anura Petit Verdot Reserve 2013
- Sauvignon Blanc: Baleia Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Chardonnay: Bartinney Chardonnay 2017
- Colombard: Bon Courage André’s Fame Colombard 2019
- MCC: Bon Courage Jacques Bruére Blanc de Blanc Cap Classique 2011
- Rosé: Bon Courage Lady of the House Pinotage Rosé 2019
- Port: Boplaas Cape Vintage 2013
- Malbec: Bushmanspad Estate Malbec 2017
- Pinot Noir: Creation The Art of Pinot Noir 2017
- Touriga Nacional: De Krans Touriga Nacional 2017
- Chenin Blanc: Doolhof Riviersteen Chenin Blanc 2017
- Merlot: Doolhof Signature Single Vineyard Collection Merlot 2017
- White Blend: Flagstone Treaty Tree Reserve Sauvignon Blanc/Sémillon 2017
- Sémillon: Ghost Corner Sémillon 2017
- Cinsaut: Kaapzicht Skuinsberg Cinsaut 2018
- Tannat: Kranskop Tannat 2017
- Viognier: Lourensford Limited Release Viognier 2018
- Roussanne: Mischa Estate Roussanne 2018
- Gewurztraminer: Neethlingshof Estate Gewürztraminer 2019
- Noble Late Harvest: Neethlingshof The Short Story Collection The Maria Weisser Riesling NLH 2017
- Riesling: Nitida Riesling 2018
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Nuy Mastery Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
- Muscadel: Nuy Wit Muskadel 2006
- Grenache: Ondine Grenache 2016
- Shiraz: Ormonde Single Vineyard Chip off the Old Block Shiraz 2015
- Cabernet Franc: Rietvallei JMB Cabernet Franc 2014
- Natural Sweet Wine: Slanghoek Vinay Vin Rosé N/V
- Red Blend: The Glen Carlou Collection Red Blend 2017
- Pinotage: Wildekrans Pinotage Barrel Select Reserve 2016